Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Physical Therapy

While at the hospital in Danja, I work both in the Physical Therapy and Pharmacy departments. I'm enjoying both and staying busy with work. The PT department is joined with the leprosy control/POD (Prevention of Disability) dept, so I have been able to be exposed to quite a wide variety of patients.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not a trained physical therapist, so I'm learning a lot as I work with the local and missionary staff. There is a lot of freedom to be creative and spend time with patients. They are very appreciative for whatever care we can give them. I work most closely with a great Nigerien man named Aboubacar who, though not educated formally, has worked in PT at the hospital for many years. He knows many exercises and stretches to give patients and it's great to work with him.

I also work with an Australian missionary from The Leprosy Mission (TLM) who is a trained occupational therapist with a Master's degree in International Public Health. She's a great friend and has taught me a lot while I've been here. She is the head of the department and also works closely with Adamou and Boube in the POD/Leprosy Control program.

Okay, enough writing. Here are some pictures from the physical therapy department here at CSL Danja...


One of the patients I've been working with for a few weeks now. He's always smiling!



Aboubacar! As a recovered leper, he has lots of knowledge and experience with leprosy patients.


Aboubacar and I...he likes to smile a lot too!


Tchima. She has come a long way recovering from burns all over her backside, legs, and hands.


Helen and Adamou doing some very serious work.



This patient has osteoporosis and could hardly sit up. Now he is learning to stand and walk despite his disability.



One of my favorite patients (is that allowed)? She had severe hip contractures, but now is doing much better and walking with just a slight limp.


Aboubacar working with one of our stroke patients. It is so exciting to see patients improve over the time that they are here! God has made us all with incredible bodies that heal!

3 comments:

Katie Black said...

Great picts of Niger and your little va-cay in Spain. Sure looks like a nice mental health break. You're in our prayers.

Shari Ardill said...

This is so YOU, Luke! Able to take time with each patient and show them your compassion and care and...probably make them laugh while you're at it! Great photos.

Christine Parker said...

Hello Luke. I am a friend of your mother's. My name is Holly despite the fact that my user name is different. From what she's told me and what I've read on your blog you're doing a wonderful job. Keep up the good work and my prayers are with you.