Thursday, May 29, 2008

Surgery Time!

My uncle Bill is one of the teaching doctors at Evangel Hospital in Jos. He is a very experienced surgeon who has been living and working in Jos for over 16 years. For about 3 or 4 days I was able to follow him around, observe surgery, and even “scrub in” on a few cases!

I absolutely loved it and soaked in as much as I could! I saw umbilical hernia repairs, bladder stone removal, a forehead tumor removal (it was the best!), the end of a prostatectomy, the removal of a needle in a little boy’s foot (it went in with the dull end first), and a tendon repair/fracture repair on a man’s hand. It was such a cool experience and helped to confirm my interest in the medical field.

Here are some cool pictures for those with strong stomachs:


Hospital Entrance

Time for some serious surgery!


Oh yeah, massive tumors in the head.

This is what they pulled out!


Herniated umbilicus

I actually scrubbed in on this one...tendon repair and pin in fractured metacarpal


Tiny tiny baby!


Hausa Phrase of the Day:

“Gajiya ta bi lahiya.”

“Tiredness follows health.”

(It means that if you’re tired it’s a good thing because you’re healthy enough to work and get tired out. So it’s a way to be positive in responding to the greeting “How is your tiredness?”… when you are really beat and tired after a long day!)

1 comment:

skattebo said...

ooh Lukey, I couldn't look at the surgery pics, but I'm so glad you got to do that, and I'm so glad you loved it too! seems like God is confirming your passion for the medical stuff.
the pictures i did see are the ones from Nigeria- dude, those volleyball shots of you are crazy! some serious air my friend.

hey, you are thought of- blessings,
anna