Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hillcrest School


Hillcrest is the K-12 school that all four of my Ardill cousins (Marie, Heather, Anna, and David) attend. I had the opportunity to hang out at school with them, help them study for exams, and play sports with them after school.

It reminded me of a cross between my grade school in Ethiopia (Bingham Academy) and my high school in Kenya (Rift Valley Academy). Hillcrest is smaller than RVA was, but there are fewer MKs (missionary kids) than there were at RVA. My good friends Tim de la Haye and Aaron Thacher (who are my age) went to Hillcrest, so I was just picturing them running around campus with their backpacks on, goofing off with their friends. The place really has some cool history.

While I was there one of the teachers was sick, so my loving Aunt Dorothy volunteered me to substitute for 4th grade until the teacher was feeling better (I did some subbing while I was in California, don’t worry)! I had a fun time with the kids and was really able to see what Hillcrest is like.





My cousin Marie and new friend Melanie on the bleachers.


Uncle Bill was the graduation speaker...it was so good!


The flametrees are so beautiful!

It was so good to play sports again! Ultimate frisbee on the lower field...



It poured when we were playing volleyball! Man have I missed the rain.


Volleyball after school


I think I got blocked on this one! Doh!


My fourth grade class that I substituted in for two days.


Hausa Phrase of the Day:

“Rishin sani ya hi dare duhu.”

Lack of knowledge is darker than night time.

(There is nothing worse than ignorance.)

No comments: