Tuesday, February 5, 2008


Feb. 1, 2008

Maradi, Niger

10:31 pm

I’ve been in Maradi since Monday, and I’m really enjoying it. The first few days were spend cleaning up the house and unpacking, organizing, etc. (Can you believe it? My room is actually organized…) We even went shopping in town and got enough food to last for a month! Of course, all we’d be eating would be oatmeal, millet, and bread, but it would work, right?

Aaron is a great guy to live with. It really worked out that we could live together and encourage each other while we’re here. I’m looking forward to this year. He grew up in Nigeria and already knows quite a bit of Hausa, so I can tag along with him when we’re in town or shopping.

Oh yeah, and I have my own room! I don’t think I’ve had a whole room to myself in the past 5 years or so! It’s quite nice.

The thing here is that it is harmatan season. It is very windy, which kicks up a bunch of dust all over the wahzoo! So every day there is a new fine coat of dust on everything in the house. Good thing I don’t have allergies too bad, or else I’d be dead by next week. (not really, don’t worry Mom…)

So here are some pictures of the house I’m living in. It’s pretty basic, but it’s great.



At the dining room table



My bedroom!


My bed!



Kitchen...yes, I should know how to cook right?


Living room / Guest bedroom :)


Toilet...don't worry, that stain was already there...


Shower of showers!


This is our "potential garden." I think it's pretty self-explanatory.


Our front entrance...

4 comments:

ryan floyd said...

beautiful posing. you look so attractive

nigerluke said...

thanks, that's what i was going for. got any more poses for me that i could implement in my blog?

Hannatu said...

Your toilet looks like ours! LOL! Wondered why you didn't put the lid down first. I have pictures of you on my blog.

Kenny Clark said...

I like the sweatshirt you're wearing in that last shot. Where'd you get that?